• 1 pound lean ground chicken, turkey, bison or beef*
• 1 cup quinoa, uncooked and rinsed
• 1 cup vegetable (or chicken) broth
• 2 cans black beans, drained & rinsed
• 2 cans diced tomatoes + juices
• 1.5 cups salsa
• 1 tablespoon chili powder
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin
• 2 large sweet potatoes, diced
• Optional for serving: fresh cilantro and/or avocado slices
FOR THE CHIPOTLE SAUCE:
• ½ ripe avocado , seeded and peeled
• 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
• 2 teaspoons sriracha
• 1-2 tablespoons water + more , as needed, to obtain desired consistency
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Bring a large skillet to medium heat. Add ground meat; breaking up as it browns. Do NOT overcook because meat will continue to cook in the oven.
3. Stir all ingredients together in prepared dish until completely combined.
4. Bake, covered with foil, for about 75 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
5. Meanwhile, mix together all ingredients for the chipotle sauce.
6. Once the casserole is done remove from oven and top with fresh cilantro and chipotle sauce. Serve with avocado slices, if desired. Enjoy!
Note - I used 2 pounds of ground beef. The recipe took almost 2 1/2 hours to finish cooking.
Submitted By: Chandra Wobschall